Starlink Fair Use Policy
Starlink’s Fair Use Policy describes how we manage our network traffic and assign customer data based on the Service Plan.
REASONABLE NETWORK MANAGEMENT
- Balancing Supply and Demand. Starlink is a finite resource that will continue to grow as we launch additional satellites. To serve the greatest number of people with high speed internet, we must manage the network to balance Starlink supply with user demand, which is impacted by such factors as service location and usage time.
- Traffic Neutrality. We treat internet traffic equally, without discrimination based on content, sender, application or service. Network management practices are deployed based on technical requirements for specific categories of traffic. These practices are applied in an “application-agnostic” manner, meaning that the treatment of traffic is independent of the content data.
- Network Integrity. We reserve the right to take additional network management measures as necessary to (1) comply with applicable laws, (2) preserve the integrity and security of the network, including but not limited to, analysing traffic patterns to optimise Services and prevent the distribution of viruses or other malicious code, and (3) prevent or mitigate network congestion on the Services, including reducing speeds for some or all users.
- Distributing Data Based on Service Plan. We seek to distribute data among our users in a fair and equitable manner by (1) implementing network management policies when the demand for network resources actually exceeds supply, and (2) allowing users to choose among Service Plans at various price points depending on how much prioritised Service is right for their needs.
- Standard Service Plan. The Standard Service Plan assigns an unlimited amount of “Standard” data each month to customers. The Standard Service Plan is designed for personal, family, or household use. Please contact your Account Manager for details on the expected performance per Service Plan. Starlink seeks to distribute Standard data among our users in a fair and equitable manner. If bandwidth patterns consistently exceed what is allocated to a typical residential user, Starlink may take network management measures, such as temporarily reducing a customer’s speeds, to prevent or mitigate congestion of the Services. Bandwidth intensive applications, such as streaming videos, gaming, or downloading large files are most likely to be impacted by such actions. Standard Service Plan customers with high bandwidth needs should consider upgrading to a Priority Service Plan. See the Clarus Networks Limited Starlink Terms and Conditions and contact your Account Manager for more details.
PRIORITY SERVICE PLANS
|Priority Service Plans|
|Data Amount & Type||1TB, Priority Data||2TB, Priority Data||6TB, Priority Data|
|Data Type & Amount After Service Plan Cap||Unlimited, Standard Data||Unlimited, Standard Data||Unlimited, Standard Data|
|Price for Additional Priority Data||Please refer to your Rates Schedule||Please refer to your Rates Schedule||Please refer to your Rates Schedule|
- In-Motion Service Plan. The In-Motion Service Plan assigns an unlimited amount of “Mobile” data each month to customers. Mobile data is designed for low demand, portable, land-based use, such as camping or nomadic living. Mobile data that is assigned to In-Motion users is always deprioritised as compared to other Starlink Service Plans, resulting in degraded Service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of the Service are not guaranteed and are highly dependent on geographical areas. Mobile data is not available on the open seas. Bandwidth intensive applications, such as streaming video and gaming are most likely to be impacted. In-Motion users with high bandwidth, in-motion or ocean needs should consider upgrading to a In-Motion Priority Service Plan or opting into paying for In-Motion Priority data per GB under their In-Motion Service Plan. See the Clarus Networks Limited Starlink Terms and Conditions and contact your Account Manager for more details.
IN-MOTION SERVICE PLANS
|MOBILE SERVICE PLANS|
|Data Amount & Type||Unlimited Regional or Unlimited Global, Mobile Data|
|Price for In-Motion Priority Data||Please refer to your Rates Schedule|
- In-Motion Priority Service Plans. In-Motion Priority Service Plans assign a set amount of “Mobile Priority” data each month based the Plan. In-Motion Priority Service Plans are designed for in-motion users who want global land plus open water access, such as shippers and sailors. Mobile Priority data under these Plans are given network precedence over Standard and Mobile data. See the Clarus Networks Limited Starlink Terms and Conditions and contact your Account Manager for more details on the expected performance per Service Plan. After a user’s Mobile Priority data is exhausted each month, the behaviour of the Service will depend on the area of operation:
- For inland coverage (including lakes and rivers), users of the In-Motion Priority Service Plans will receive unlimited Mobile data, which will result in slower speeds and degradation of bandwidth intensive applications during times of network congestion.
- While in the open water, once Mobile Priority data is exhausted, users will be unable to connect to the internet except to access their Starlink Account on www.starlink.com, where additional Mobile Priority data can be purchased, so that a user may reconnect to the internet.
See the Clarus Networks Limited Starlink Terms and Conditions and contact your Account Manager for more details.
IN-MOTION PRIORITY SERVICE PLANS
|IN-MOTION PRIORITY SERVICE PLANS|
|Data Amount & Type||50GB, Mobile Priority Data||1TB, Mobile Priority Data||5TB, Mobile Priority Data|
|Data Type & Amount After Limit on Land||Unlimited, Mobile Data||Unlimited, Mobile Data||Unlimited, Mobile Data|
|Data Type & Amount After Limit on Open Water||No Internet; Access to Starlink Account Only||No Internet; Access to Starlink Account Only||No Internet; Access to Starlink Account Only|
|Price for Additional Mobile Priority Data||Please refer to your Rates Schedule||Please refer to your Rates Schedule||Please refer to your Rates Schedule|
TRACKING DATA USE & PURCHASING MORE
Eligible customers can track their monthly data usage and purchase additional Priority or Mobile Priority data at any time via the Starlink App and on the Starlink Customer Portal by opting into being automatically charged for more Priority or Mobile Priority data once they hit the limit under their Service Plan. Once a customer opts-in, they will be automatically billed for additional GB used until they opt-out. Excess data usage per month will also be displayed on a customer’s monthly invoice. Please contact your Account Manager for additional details on Priority or Mobile Priority data fees and billing.
SPEEDS AND PERFORMANCE
Please speak to your Account Manager for details on Starlink expected performance data per Service Plan. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of Services are not guaranteed. Actual speeds may be lower during times of high usage. Starlink may temporarily reduce speeds if our network is congested.